DOZE’rs, it’s time for this year’s DOZE Team Competition!
This is a great opportunity to get to know some of your fellow brewers, and put together some entries for both the California State Fair, and the National Homebrew Competition.
Let’s get together, brew some great beers, and try and get our 4th Golden Bear in a row!
If you want to participate, sign up here and we’ll announce teams at next week’s meeting, Monday 10/28.
DOZE TEAM COMPETITION RULES:
- Each team will consist of 2 to 3 randomly assigned members. Team members will be drawn from pools to ensure a mix of experience on each team: veteran competitors (multiple medal winners), veteran brewers, rookies (member of DOZE for 12 months or less), and someone with a 15+ gallon system. Veterans or experienced brewers will serve the role of a team captain as elected by the team.
- Although we will try to select teams so that each team has a member with a 15 gallon system, you can also arrange to brew at MoreBeer as well.
Draft will be conducted in a lottery format randomly assigning team members to avoid favoritism and personal preferences.
- Each team will be randomly assigned a beer style for brewing. The Club DOZE Data Analytics Team will identify potentially successful (for competing on National level) styles based on style and winning recipes analysis.
- Teams may trade styles, but are prohibited from exchanging team members.
- Teams are encouraged to use winning recipe matrix (located on Club DOZE Google Drive) to identify potentially best ingredients to maximize the winning odds. Team may solicit recipe development help from any source.
- It is team captains’ responsibility to schedule a brew session, provide education as needed, and schedule the necessary follow up (fermentation, racking, filtering, fining, bottling, etc.) with their teams.
- Each team will brew 10-20 gallons (depending on the team size) to ensure each member would get a fair amount of wort (at least 5 gallons).
beers from a single team must be produced from the same wort, but teams
are encouraged to be creative about about ways to maximize the number
of entries you enter.
- Teams may enter 1 beer for each member of the team, plus one bonus entry for the team. (i.e., if your team has 3 brewers, each brewer submits an entry AND the team can submit one bonus entry, for 4 total entries from that team.)
- Try using different yeast (ale, lager, Belgian, sour), different post-boil adjuncts (alternative sugars, spices, fruit), or other methods (blending, oaking, etc).
- At least one entry for each team must be the specific style assigned; other entries may be entered in different categories.
- All beers must be delivered to Del Cielo Brewing Co. during normal business hours from January 17 – 24. Final drop off deadline is 7PM on Friday, January 24.
- Each entry will require two 12oz bottles with DOZE Club Comp labels attached with a rubber band.
JUDGING: Judging will be conducted by Club DOZE beer judges (including BJCP and BJCP-wanna be judges). Each brewer will receive a set of score cards (2-3 depending on number of judges assigned).